Thursday, March 19, 2009

My all time favorite salad--Cranberry Pecan Salad on Baby Greens

This salad is one of my favorites so I thought it was fitting for it to start this blog off right. I was so excited to find blue cheese with pasteurized milk at Whole Foods--a requirement for pregnancy. I have had variations of this salad in many restaurants but I have tweaked it to include all my favorites. It has a great mix of salty and sweet. The best thing about this salad is that it makes me feel like I am having lunch "out" at a restaurant while saving money and time at home.

This salad is traditionally served with walnuts and raspberry vinaigrette when I have had it. I love the taste of pecans and the unexpected delicious flavor the blueberry vinaigrette adds. You could definitely go traditional on this one and have a great alternative.

Cranberry Pecan Salad on Baby Greens
Ingredients:
2 large handfuls of baby greens
1/2 of a fresh pear--peeled, cored and diced
2 TBSP dried cranberries
2 TBSP crumbled blue cheese
2 TBSP chopped pecans
2 TBSP Blueberry Vinaigrette dressing

  1. Lay out baby greens on your serving dish. I like bite size pieces so I tear them to make them smaller.
  2. Layer the greens with the pear, blue cheese, dried cranberries and pecans. I like this order to make sure the salty flavor of the blue cheese mixes into the pear and cranberries.
  3. Top with Blueberry Vinaigrette dressing. I use the 365 Brand from Whole Foods. It is organic and only 45 calories per serving! You can't beat that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Statistics